Two or three wheels on my cargo bike?
The cargo bike, in The Netherlands better known as “Bakfiets”, is a transport bike with two or three wheels and a big box in the front. Many Dutch families have a cargo bike to transport up to four children to all kind of different locations.
Until the 50’s the cargo bike was only being used for business purposes, in the early 2000’s it became a huge trend to move your children around and is still growing in popularity in The Netherlands. We also see an increase in demand of the cargo bike in the United Kingdom and Babboe is shipping more and more of them.
Three wheel cargo bike
An ordinary cargo bike with three wheels has one rear wheel and two in the front. To steer the three wheel cargo bike you have to turn the entire box, which is located on top of the two front wheels. Keeping your posture straight and sometimes letting go of the steering wheel will prevent tipping over the box or cycling on two wheels. The box of the cargo bike can also be closed and it will be ideal to transport all types of freight.
A three wheel cargo bike is:
- Suitable for 1-4 children
- Because of the two wheels in the front the cargo bike cannot suddenly tip over
- Easy to park because of the parking brake
- Rigid and stable when stationary
- Width of +/- 34,7 inches.
Our three wheel based cargo bikes:
Two wheel cargo bike
This type of cargo bike is just like an ordinary bicycle, the only difference is the box between the steering wheel and the front wheel. The front wheel is connected with the steering wheel by a so called “steering connecting rod”. Equally to an ordinary bicycle you maintain a balance by forward movement. You need to use the stand to keep the cargo bike in balance when it is not moving, compared to the three wheel based cargo bike which can just balance by itself.
A two wheel cargo bike is:
- Suitable for 1-2 children (an extra bench is required for maximum 4 children).
- Cycling is agile and with great ease, cycles similar to a ordinary bicyle.
- Less resistance and suitable for cycling long distances.
- Width of +/- 27,5 inches.
Our two wheel cargo bikes: