Can you mount a kid's bike seat onto the rear carrier of a cargo bike?
From a safety point of view, we do not recommend mounting a bike seat onto the rear carrier of a cargo bike. The rear carriers have a maximum load and are therefore not sturdy enough to carry older kids in particular. Transporting children on the rear carrier without a bike seat isn't recommended either. The best and safest way to transport children is to have them take a seat in the box of the cargo bike.
A bike bag suits the cargo bike's rear carrier very well. The battery is incorporated in the rear carrier of an electric cargo bike. Keep this in mind when buying a bike bag, as not every bike bag can be attached to a rear carrier with a battery. There won't be enough space to attach the bike bag. Make sure not to exceed the maximum load.
Advantages of taking children along in the cargo bike:
- Children are able to observe a lot more while sitting in the cargo bike
- With the rain tent, children will be dry and protected from the elements
- Children are well protected thanks to the high panels on the box
- A cargo bike offers more options, you can use a Maxi-Cosi carrier, baby seat or even a toddler seat
- Children are safe in the cargo bike. No risks of getting hands or feet caught in the spokes
One of the most common bike accidents involving children are little feet getting caught in the spokes Spoke accidents are eliminated when children are safely transported in the cargo bike.
A coat protector prevents your clothes (trouser legs, dress/skirt or bag) from being caught in the rear wheel spokes.